AQ in SB, Intersting spot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AQ in SB, Intersting spot

UTG+1: 78.09 BB (VPIP: 25.97, PFR: 20.27, 3Bet Preflop: 10.71, Hands: 78)
    MP: 44.73 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 5.56, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 38)
    CO: 61.44 BB (VPIP: 28.13, PFR: 22.92, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 98)
    BTN: 29.85 BB (VPIP: 23.53, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 17)
    Hero (SB): 16.8 BB
    BB: 16.47 BB (VPIP: 42.86, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
    UTG: 19.76 BB (VPIP: 22.58, PFR: 11.48, 3Bet Preflop: 3.85, Hands: 62)

7 players post ante of 0.1 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.2 BB) Hero has AdQc

UTG raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB, BB calls 1.5 BB

I was thinking about shoving here, but with the BB still to act and just as short. I can also just fold and wait for a better spot against a decent EP raiser, but that didnt seem right either. I decided to call and see what develops if he shoves.

I feel like im in a difficult spot here with the EP raise and none of my options feel good. Thoughts?

Flop: (8.2 BB, 3 players) 6s 7d 2s
    Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks.

Garbage flop for us. Thought about taking the lead, but ultimately decided against it.

Turn: (8.2 BB, 3 players) 5h
    Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets 4.1 BB, fold, fold,

and im done. I could rip it here on the turn, but I'm not sure i want to put my tourney on the line with a bluff based on the way i played this. I suppose this board hits my range pretty hard the way its played.

What would you do differently here? Too weak not shoving pre?

Rip it in preflop. Yeah, he opened from EP, but a hand as strong as AQ with these stacks is good enough to die with. It has blockers to most of the hands you really don't want to see here, AA,QQ, and AK. The only big hand it does not block is KK. Even if he flips over JJ/TT you're ok, with 45% equity. If you get him to maybe fold 88/99 that's a great result when he folds hands with equity against your shove. If he mistakenly calls with AJ, you are loving it.

You have blockers, fold equity and hand equity when you get called. Even if he has one of the bad hands, you will still have 30% equity against all but AA.

Comment

• XBobLove
      XBobLove commented
      Editing a comment
      Easy jam for me as well...

AQo is somewhat close. It comes down to whether our opponent is opening a decently wide range (say 10-12% of hands) out of the EP and we're likely to have some fold equity. We only have 62 hands on villain but his stats don't look nitty, so I think shoving is probably good.

If we don't jam I think folding and calling are reasonable options, even sub 20BB. I may fold here against tight players simply because I'm OOP and likely playing a multi-way pot.

As played, I tend to like the idea of checking my entire range on the flop though with the idea I can get my stack in with my top pair and better hands along with good draws if one of my opponents c-bet.

On the turn as played I'm done, simply because I have better hands - like those with an 8 or 4 - that I'd want to use as bluffs if I was so inclined. AQo without any equity (other than overcards) is too far down in my range to consider.
    Last edited by jpgiro; 04-20-2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think what got to me in this spot was my stack size. Its kind of in no mans land. Any smaller, easy shove. larger I can 3bet and fold to a 4bet.

Comment

With the raise sizing, the best stacks sizes to 3 bet jam are 12.5BBs to 17.5 BBs, with the upper limit being as large as 22 BBs. You are right in the sweet spot for a 3 bet jam stack wise here.

Comment

Thanks JJ

....so much to learn

Comment

Working...
          X