• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flop situation

H JQ offsit
    B 400/800 no ante
    S 35K
    P SB

Dealt JQo in SB. UTG+2 raises to 2000, two other callers, I am in SB and I elect to call with JQo
    Pot 8K
    Flop is JQ6 - 2 spades
    I check
    UTG +2 bets 2600
    Other two players call.
    Pot is 16K
    What is my move?

I would consider 3 betting preflop.

I would consider raising this flop, but would hate getting too much action after I raise.

Comment

I either donk this with the intent to Jam to an over bet or on the turn or if I get here like this, I just jam now. We have a <3 SPR pot with the vulnerable but big % best hand with redraw to the nuts. Great spot.

Comment

• lavonne
        lavonne commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. I liked this spot. I elected to jam and all others players folded, leaving me with an 18K pot.

Hi , i will do a check raise , either all in or a value that can allow them to call with worst hand. i am almost shoving the turn unless a 6 a Ace drop.

Comment

I think I'm probably folding QJo facing a UTG+2 open here, but I think a 3-bet is fine as well. I don't think generally this is a strong enough hand to call a raise from a UTG+2 open so either I'm putting QJo into my 3-bet bluff range or folding. I get that we're getting an amazing price but we're going to be playing a hand multi-way OOP that has some reverse implied odds.

As played this looks like a clear check-raise spot. I generally don't have a leading range in spots like this - I'd rather check all my hands assuming someone's going to take a stab at the pot. Top two fits pretty nicely into a check-raise range along with sets and some combo draws for balance.
        Last edited by jpgiro; 03-30-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

If you are playing nine handed then UTG+2 has LJ, HJ, CO, Btn and blinds still to act so we would expect the opener to have a good hand.

This is a good squeeze spot, except that squeezing an EP opener may not be the best idea. It is a very good idea if you have noticed the opener is loose in EP. He opened 2.5bb, if you have a tell from his opening sizes you might get some clue to his hand.

You have a standard squeezing hand, indeed the very best, QJ blocks QQ and JJ in the openers hand, and he may not be keen on playing AQ and TT very fast pre flop.

You are in SB and this is a good spot to squeeze, because it puts the BB in a difficult spot, if you call the BB may squeeze.

There are two callers to the opener so this makes a squeeze even better, it is more profitable, there are more IP players the opener has to worry about, and when you raise three players pre flop you are going to get a lot of credit for a big hand.

You have 44bb which is a good size stack for a squeeze.

So unless you have noticed the opener is very tight in EP, I think a squeeze is best option pre flop. If you squeeze in this spot you need to make it 4 to 5 times the openers bet, this would be 10bb to 12.5bb, with two callers to the opener you can afford to make it 12.5bb.

The opener now has a problem, he can't call another 10bb and hope to make a pair on the flop with his AQ and he is often going to be in a difficult spot with his TT. His only options are to shove or fold. He will probably call with AA, KK and shove with AK. He probably doesn't have QQ, JJ and he is in a difficult spot with all his other hands. A standard 4-bet would be 27bb which means he would have to call a shove with ATC.

If everybody folds you have picked up 9bb by risking 12bb, and you have a big chance of pulling it off.

As the hand was played, there is 20bb in the pot before it gets back to you. You want to get a lot in the pot before a spade kills the action and you might be drawing to 4 outs if a spade comes. A shove by you is understandable. The best course is to bet enough to make it difficult for a spade draw to fold and difficult to call. A shove makes it easy for a spade draw to fold.

The opener has bet only 1/3 pot, it is unlikely he is slow playing a monster, with two callers there is a high chance that one is on a spade draw and it might even be the opener.

The opener has bet 3.25bb on the flop. So a 2/3 pot size bet on top of 3.25bb puts a spade, or other, draw to a difficult decision. So your flop check raise should be 16bb to 17bb. The pot would now be 37bb and a spade draw has to call 14bb for odds of 2.6 to 1. If the spade, or other, draw gets the rest of your chips he is getting 4.4 to 1, so it is enticing.

If a spade, Ace or 9, comes on the turn you are in a difficult spot, There is 51bb in the pot and you have about 25bb behind. So you have no choice but to get the rest in. If a spade does not come then you have a perfect size turn shove, which once again puts the spade draw in a difficult spot as he is getting 3 to 1. If a 6 comes you are beating AQ and losing to AA, KK, you were always losing to QQ, JJ, 66.

Your check on the flop was correct. You are hoping the action would be exactly what happened.

By the way, a squeeze can also occur on the flop. If you had air or some minimal draw you could have considered squeezing this flop, especially as the opener made a weak c-bet that was only called. A tough player may call 1.5bb in the BB with 85o just to see how the action develops on the flop. The same principle applies; you check raise about 5 times the weak c-bet, so this would be about 16bb, the same as if you had QJ. Now you are risking 16bb to win 20bb, even more profitable than a pre flop squeeze.
          Last edited by Patrick O; 03-31-2017, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• lavonne
            lavonne commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough response. This helps my game tremendously and gives me options to consider. Very helpful.
        Working...
        X